Thursday, May 21, 2009

Some more about the Hiroshima story

I read up some more about the bloke who survived the two atom bomb blasts in Japan, and found this story.

This seems to have been written by the original writer who wrote the story after interviewing the persons involved.

It makes great reading, I just love real-life stories like these. It truly is an amazing story, and has been told in a wonderful way. One of those "can't put it down" stories, like a John Grisham novel.

As I was walking along I heard the sound of a plane, just one. I looked up into they sky and saw the B-29, and it dropped two parachutes. I was looking up into the sky at them, and suddenly … it was like a flash of magnesium, a great flash in the sky, and I was blown over.”

The American B-29 bomber ‘Enola Gay’ had flown from the Pacific island of Tinian 1500 miles away. It had dropped a 13 kiloton uranium atomic bomb, nicknamed ‘Little Boy’, which exploded 580 metres above the centre of Hiroshima at thirty seconds after 8.15am.

....

"When the noise and the blast had subsided I saw a huge mushroom-shaped pillar of fire rising up high into the sky. It was like a tornado, although it didn't move, but it rose and spread out horizontally at the top. There was prismatic light, which was changing in a complicated rhythm, like the patterns of a kaleidoscope.

...

"We saw a mother with a baby on her back," said Mr Iwanaga. "She looked as if she had lost her mind. The child on her back was dead and I don't know if she even realised. There were some things I couldn't look at - internal organs hanging out, the tongue or the eyes hanging loose. If you have a normal set of nerves it's very difficult to look at something like that."

...

Mr Sato was also in the shipyard, standing by the quayside. "People were asking me what happened in Hiroshima, because they had heard rumours," he said. "I was just explaining when I saw the flash of light. Instinctively, I knew what was happening, so I jumped immediately into the water." He trod water for an hour, and escaped without a scratch.


I've got a lot of my own real-life stories, but I'm extremely glad that I'm not the one telling this story.

No comments: